1.28.2011

Fabulous Film Friday ate Magical Movie Monday! (vol. 3)














One of my dear friends loves The Brown Bunny and convinced me to put it on my Netflix cue. I find Vincent Gallo to be intriguing -- those piercing eyes, his willingness to be vulnerable and of course, he's kinda creepy, right?

Belive me when I tell you: This movie is not for everyone. When it was orginally screened at the Venice Film Festival Roger Ebert stormed out of it exclaiming that it was the WORST movie that had ever been shown in the Venice Festival's history. Later Gallo cut the movie down, and Ebert has changed his tune. So this movie is for some...including me! I absolutely loved it.

Gallo unabashedly slowed the concept of time down with this movie. Long still shots that go on for minutes at a time showing the viewer very common place experiences like driving a car. Sometimes the shots are through a windshield --- with the additions of windsplattered bugs on the lens and all. The film's quietness adds an intensity, and with Gallo you never know what's really going to happen. Is he going to kill someone or himself?

Gallo is self-indulgent in his insistence that the viewer go along on this long drawn out tale, but hey, most of the world's best artists are self-indulgent, no? There is a VERRRY explicit scene that includes one Miss Chloe Sevigny, but don't let that keep you from this little gem.

No comments: