1.10.2011

Magical Movie Monday!







(i have a thing for alliteration)

2011 will embark upon my new wild idea (that I'm hoping won't fall by the wayside of laziness): keeping a movie log. I have been inspired by some dear beloved friends that love movies as much as me, and by a renewed love of film. Watching movies at Salem Cinema, Northern Lights, Cinnebarre and with Netflix recently has been such a pleasure. Plus, I have already watched a few greats this year so let's just have a little weekly chat about this, okay? Great.

This is our first time but I must catch us up on the year thus far.

1. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid



First time watching this one, and it was pretty fun! If we could take a moment to comment on the gorgeousness that is Paul Newman followed by a young pretty boy Robert Redford. The remarkably 60s day romp on the bicycle to Burt Bacharach's epic "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" is one of the silliest schmaltz-that-becomes-charming scenes I have seen.

I have avoided Westerns my entire life. Never could hack the setting, the filth, the rudeness, all the horses. Meh. Not for me. As I age I am finding a fondness pop up from time to time. It could have been my thrift found turquoise cowboy boots that helped turn the corner for me. Whatever it is, I find these shootouts behind bushes intriguing; I find the attire increasingly appealing as well.

2. Charade


This year for New Years we laid in bed watching movies. First Butch Cassidy and then Charade. First time for this film as well. It was incredibly charming because both Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn are fantastic. It has a Hitchcock-esque plot but without his usual sinister edge. I am not difficult to fool, but I will also say that I was unsure about Cary's character's true identity throughout. A wonderful way to spend the first day of the year.

3. True Grit (2010)

My fantastic friend Jennifer watched my ladybears so Ryan and I could go see this movie. Seeing that we started the year with a western it seemed just fine by me to continue on this road and see the new Coen brothers movie, True Grit. I often feel like it's impossible to have a good child actor, yeah I'm just wrong. Hailee Steinfeld does a remarkable job as a very grown-up 14-year old woman who "takes care of business."

Jeff Bridges charms me somehow. Could have been back in The Fisher King that I wholeheartedly decided I liked the fellow, but Mr. Bridges clearly has earned his keep in film. I seriously enjoyed every moment of True Grit. The sassy girl, the grossly drunk and slovenly Rooster, and the Texas Ranger. Couple good characters with a winning script by the Coen brothers and yeah... it's good yo. Maybe the untouched country appeals to me more, or the makeshift roughing it gear, whatever it is that makes it a Western is also making it good.

On a side note, one of the 'bad guys' in this movie sports some woolly chaps that should they ever come into my possession, trust me, I can rock the shit out of them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charade is definitely on my list of all time favorite movies. It's fabulous. I have, however, managed my entire life without watching Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid... though i think I have owned a copy of it for most of my life, hahahaha. As for true grit, well, you know how i feel about anything closely resembling a western. =)

Hennifer said...

I LOVED Ned and his wooly chaps!